Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day Notes

Overheard at the end of the school day yesterday (February 13th):

Nine-year-old Boy: "Do you love anyone at this school?"
Eight-year-old Boy: (blank look) "Uh, No."
Nine-year-old Boy: "I do. I love (name redacted)." A simple statement of fact.
Eight-year-old Boy: "Oh." (Puts on coat and goes to find boots) (He might as well have heard, "I like peanut butter.")

...This same 9-year-old boy told me that he gave THREE valentines to the girl in question. I asked him if she gave any to him and he said, "Yes, one, and when she gave me her valentine I crumpled down into myself with shyness." And he smiled and looked off into the distance as if this was a delicious thing to even remember.

So, to state the obvious lesson for parents: do not let your three-year-old's dressup habits lead you down the garden path of Making Assumptions. Then again, he DOES look fabulous in a tutu, so anything is possible in the future.... :-)


(Fergus at Three) (Roxbury VT Playgroup)

No comments: