Saturday, December 27, 2014

Google Streetview Memories

My mother grew up in Toronto, but by the time I came along we lived in Syracuse, NY, and visited Mom's mother (only on rare occasions) in the town where she spent her final years, Rockton, Ontario.

Rockton doesn't really exist anymore, having been absorbed by the city of Hamilton, but there was hardly any "there" there, even in the 1970's, when we would make the long drive to see Grandma.

Grandma was born in Fores, Scotland, and I loved the way she rolled the R at the start of my name, Robbie. She was kind, in her way, but seemed alien to me, and not just because of her accent and her "party line" phone and antique toaster (she also had an ashtray shaped like a coiled snake that scared me, and a ceramic boy's head on the wall near the bathroom that dispensed string from his mouth, ditto).

We called her house The Farm, since that's how my mother referred to it: when Mom was growing up, it was the place they stayed in the summers, when they weren't in Toronto. When I visited, there was a ramshackle barn with an old Studebaker, idle for years. And an outbuilding with stacks of old sheet music written by my mother's great uncle, Andrew Kernighan--correction: it was Robert Kirkland Kernighan--who was known as The Khan. He was a poet of some dubious renown, who had once lived in a cabin on the property. Actually, the sheet music said "Words by The Khan, Music by His Sister" under the title. Anyway, my father and I used to walk the property on visits, in search of the ruins of The Khan's cabin (which in fact we did find more than once).

This is Grandma's house today, courtesy of Google Streetview (the stone wall was uncrowded by shrubs when I was a boy):


Rockton may be part of Hamilton now, but this is hardly a cityscape.

Grandma Mason died when I was in college Out West, and due to a mixup with a funeral home in Hamilton, there was no place to bury her. As I understand it, my cousins (and perhaps my Uncle Bob) improvised a solution that required hand-digging a grave for her in the churchyard down the road. Then they carried her coffin on their shoulders--a half mile down the way, past the site of the rinkydink "Rockton World's Fair"--and buried her themselves outside of this little stone church (again, this image is from Google Streetview).




 I learned just now that The Rockton World's Fair was named as such because (according to the fair's website)

In 1878, Mrs. Andrew Kernighan commented that the fair should be called The World’s Fair because all of the world comes to it. The next day, local newspapers carried an article about the fair with the headline "The World’s Fair at Rockton."

"Mrs. Andrew Kernighan" was The Khan's mother, apparently. Nomenclature aside, it's a pretty small fair.

 Grandma Mason was my last living grandmother (my Father's mother had died--suddenly, I think--when I was a young boy), and I swooned, in a way, when I heard that Grandma Mason had died, and that her grandchildren had carried her, on foot, down the road to a grave they had dug by hand. But I was in college in Washington state at the time, and my parents didn't tell me Grandma had died until several weeks after she was buried. They said they didn't want to interfere with my studies. I'm not sure I ever forgave them for that.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, I came across your blog post searching about Robert Kirkland Kernighan and Rushdale Farm. It seems that we are related through my Grandpa Mason (ROBERT (BOB) MASON) who used to live at Rushdale Farm in Rockton, Ontario. I was wanting to get a bit more information as I'm trying to look into my ancestry on my dad's side of the family. I was wondering what 'Grandma Masons' first name is, her husband's name and any information on her parents. Any information will be really appreciated. Thank you!!! Lora Mason

Rob said...

Hi Lora!

Bob Mason is my uncle (my Mom's brother). So is your dad one of Bob's sons? What's his name? Peter went on summer vacation with us one year, and Andy stayed a few days with us in Seattle another year. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Bob's mother, who lived at Rushdale farm when I was a kid (1960's/70's) was named Althea. I'm afraid I don't remember her husband's name (pretty sure I never met him). She had a thick Scottish accent. I think she was born in Fores, Scotland.

You can reach me at baseballpajamas [AT] gmail dot etc. I should hook you up with my sister Nancy, who has been digging into our family history a bit.

-Rob (Ryan), Vermont USA